Mini Lamb Wellington Appetizers
Elegant and satisfying, this appetizer is sure to impress your guests.
- 1 ½-2 lbs. Lamb stew meat, ¾”-1” diced
- 2 tbsp oil, for searing meat
- 3 cups water, for braising
- 1 cup sherry wine
- ½ cup shallots, finely minced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, finely minced
- 2 lbs Puff pastry (18”x13”), thawed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 packages Stonemill Kitchens® Garlic & Herb Feta Dip
- Heat braising pan, add oil. When oil starts to “smoke”, add lamb meat. Brown all sides well. Add the sherry wine and water, bring to boil, them simmer until meat is close to tender. Add water as needed if liquid evaporates too much.
- Finely mince the shallots and mushrooms with food processer (or mince with knife).
- Once lamb is almost tender, about 25 to 30 minutes, remove from pot and set aside to cool.
- Add the shallot and mushroom mix to the pot. Cook until the mixture is almost dry. After cooking, place in a container and let it cool in the refrigerator.
- After cooling, mix in 1 full 10oz container of the Stonemill Kitchens Garlic & Herb Feta Dip.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and water.
- Lay pastry sheets on counter or cutting board. Cut squares into 2 ½”, enough to match the number of pieces of lamb.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For assembly, brush the dough with the egg wash, add a teaspoon of the mushroom mix, then place lamb chunk in center. Gently, enclose the filling and pinch off the seams. Form into a small ball. Place on a nonstick sheet pan with ½” spacing. Once made and panned, brush the tops with egg wash.
- Place in preheated oven and cook until golden brown about 20 to 25 minutes. After cooking, remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with remaining package of Stonemill Kitchens Garlic & Herb Feta dip.
Pairs well with a full bodied merlot or cabernet.